The Spanish Quest
As most people know, here in Mexico, most people speak
primarily Spanish.
Except me.
Mastering the Spanish language is an ongoing and daily
struggle for me, despite encouraging comments such as “I hear it’s an easy
language to learn.” Yes, I believe it is supposed to be. But the Spanish
language did not count on my lack of linguistic skills when it chose to give
itself that reputation.
I’ve really enjoyed learning a second language. Although I
took French for 5/6 of my public schooling, I came away from those ten years
with a very thorough understand of how to ask to go get a drink of water.
Although not intentionally strategic, this knowledge had the capability to
enable me to be out of the classroom when it came to my turn to read a
paragraph out loud, which in turn enabled me to keep my friends who would’ve
otherwise disowned me in embarrassment of my successful butchering one of my country’s national languages.
I’m pleased to announce that my Spanish is coming along much
better. After about seven months, I can not only ask for water, but I can also
now say that I am hungry. This is already a significant improvement from my
francophonic attempts.
During the beginning of my time in Mexico, speaking Spanish
was like having to change in front of your classmates in the gym room in junior
high for the first time. The fact was, I was afraid to say anything in Spanish
for fear that I would say it wrong and embarrass myself and be laughed at.
Eventually however, I’ve learned that I will never speak Spanish if I don’t,
in fact, try speaking it.
![]() |
| My Personal Aids |
Occasionally I say things now, and they come out right. Sometimes I say something thinking I’m practically as fluent as a Spanish dictionary, and meanwhile the whole country instinctually flinches deep inside because of the horrendous misuse of their native language. And then there are the times when I try to say something, and even I realise that the delivery was absolutely awful. These moments are learning experiences, an opportunity to laugh at myself, and, more often than not, a chance to humbly apologise.
There was the one time I told my co-worker she needed to
clean her teeth.
Or the time I asked my other
co-worker if she had to poop.
Or the conversation I had in which I confused the word
“poor” for another, which resulted in me asking both of my fellow co-workers if
they were impoverished, while I stated that I was not.
Yes, I have been very offensive, and they have in turn been
very gracious and understanding. Thankfully they have a sense of humour that enables
them to laugh with me (or at me, but I prefer to think it’s with), rather than
shun me.
I’ve also successfully taught a group of 2 year olds that
“orange” is a legitimate emotion. When you are “orange,” your brow will furrow
and you will frown. I’ve since replaced the word “orange” with “angry,” in the
hopes that the emotion orange will not be remembered very long by these very
teachable young ones.
Another time, I was very concerned about the existence of
parasites in one of our kids, and was checking with another worker for
reassurance. She however thought I was asking about the presence of little
pieces of bread. What resulted was a somewhat frustrating conversation on both
parts, in which she was confused as to why I was asking about bread, and on my part
trying to figure out why she couldn’t understand me when I was almost certain I
was using the right word. I later enquired with my husband as to why this
miscommunication happened, and it was simply because I was putting the emphasis
on the wrong syllable of the word, which made it indiscernible.
Look carefully:
parásitos – parasites
(correctly pronounced)
parasitos – parasites
(incorrectly pronounced)
panesitos – little
breads
I feel that this is one of my more forgivable mistakes.
However, as I continue to learn, I am so grateful for those
around me who are so patient and forgiving. These people have come alongside me
to teach me, and to graciously laugh with me when I make silly mistakes. They
have encouraged me in my improvements (apparently there are some!), and taken
the time to have excruciating slow and confusing conversations with me.
I still have high hopes of making fewer mistakes someday.
Someday, I hope, I will be a much less rude person in Spanish. Until then, I will plug along and continue to
attempt to learn this beautiful language.



Comments
Post a Comment