A Little More Than Tacos
Every two weeks, I try
and give my friends (and other interested internet surfers, I suppose) an update
on the happenings of my life. The original purpose of this blog was to be a
surrogate for the conversations I wish I could have with friends and family, if
we were able head over to a café and catch up on all the latest news in our
lives. Unfortunately, it is mostly one way in this case, but it is an attempt
at communication where a trip to Sam’s Place (or other applicable local café) is
out of the realm of possibility.
My point is this,
while primarily my posts have thus far been pertaining to Mexico and the work
we are doing here, sometimes our lives and the things that are currently
happening are not so cut and dry as a cute anecdote about what a kid did, or
the fact that I had tacos last night for supper (which, I did).
This week, my thoughts
are a little more distant than Mazatlan. The good thing about a blog, unlike
sipping tea together, is that if you are bored or disinterested, you can exit
this page right now and quit the “conversation.” I won’t be offended. I
actually won’t even know. And it frees me to say what’s really been a big part
of my life lately, even if it isn’t particularly amusing or even interesting. I’m
no intellect, and have no thoughts that haven’t been voiced, more eloquently,
before. With that disclaimer, here goes…
Lately, we have all been bombarded with news of global events
pertaining to the killing and general persecution of Christians. Justin and I don’t
watch the news, and generally don’t keep up with world events probably as much
as we should. But this is not something that can be missed.
It’s tragic. It’s alarming. It’s horrific. It’s scary.
The fact is, I personally feel that it may only be a matter
of time before these kind atrocities directed at Christians are even more
widespread, and that perhaps, sooner than I think, I may be the one who is held
at gunpoint because of my faith in Jesus Christ. The question is, how do I respond
to that supposition?
There are two options that immediately come to my mind when
faced with this question. And these are:
- Rage against the injustices of the world, get teary-eyed over the bloody pictures I see on my computer screen, then forget about it and go eat sushi (because that just seems like a care-free thing to do…?). After my initial indignation, I really just want to block it from my mind, and not dwell on the ramifications of these actions for families, communities, countries and the world. Or,
- Barricade myself in a bullet-proof, bomb-proof, human-proof shelter with my family and my dog and hunker down while waiting for the world to end.
I’ve come to the conclusion that neither of these are very
good options. Though either apathy or fear are the two extremes that would be
easiest for me to give way to, from what I’ve been seeing in my Bible lately, I
feel that both are wrong.
These students, journalists, all these people across the
ocean I’ve never even seen before… they’re my family. We’re united through our Christian
faith, the same Christianity which instructs me to pray for them. Politically,
I don’t know what to do. At this point, I’m not sure how, or even if I can
actively oppose what’s happening to them. But I can’t ignore it. I need to
intercede for them, their families, these communities, and even those who doing
the killing. If we’re a body, we should feel the pain of our members, and join
with them. I can’t let myself become apathetic to the suffering of my family.
As for myself, I’ve realised that I’m not exempt from this
kind of treatment. Although as far as I know there have not been mass killings
of Christians in Mexico lately, it is not outside the realm of possibility in
the future. Possibly even the near future.
And then I get scared. Not of dying exactly. But for my loved
ones, and especially for my faith. With a gun pointed at my head, or a noose around
my neck, how will I react?
I’ve been reading lately in the Bible of people who have
been imprisoned, tortured, or who have died for their faith. Fact is, it has
been happening ever since there was a Christian faith to die for. Oddly, I am
encouraged by this. I am encouraged by the faith of the people today who I read
in the news are being persecuted. Their sacrifice, though it breaks my heart
and shakes my peace, drives me to want to have the kind of faith that will
stand up to a bullet.
So, once again, how do I respond?
I’ve decided that I should pray. I’m not always very good at
praying. I’m much better at fretting, over-analyzing, and simply hoping. But that’s not going to cut it,
is it? Praying can feel like such an intangible activism. But I’m slowly learning
that not only is it the best, but sometimes it’s the only activism we can
really do within the scope of our knowledge and abilities. I don’t think “I’ll
pray about it” should be used as an excuse to exempt us from action. But I do think
prayer is undervalued, and should be our first-response.
So, I’m trying to pray. For those who are currently being
persecuted. And for my own faith; that I will be able to stand when I am face-to-face
with persecution myself if/when it occurs. Instead of hiding in my
everything-proof shelter, I will continue daily to do the work that I feel I’m called
to do. I will try and complete the task that I have been given for the present,
but I will remember to pray.
Join me?

Comments
Post a Comment