You Probably Don't Want to Read This One
Did you know that 100 000 babies are killed every year in Canada
as a result of abortion?
Now you know.
So what are you going to do about it?
I am not here right now to have a pro-life/pro-choice debate.
I’ll save that for another time and place. Right now, I want to know what you
are doing about the fact that 100 000 babies are being disposed of, regardless
of why.
Because the fact is, I believe, we as Christians have messed
this one up.
Many of us sponsor children overseas, in developing
countries, to give them food, education, life.
This is good. Don’t stop. But ask yourself: why will I not make the same effort
to giving life to children in my very own country?
If, like myself, you are unashamedly pro-life, you might
have ideas coming to your head already. Things like:
- · Protest outside of abortion clinics
- · Vote for the political candidate whose official stance is anti-abortion
- · Educate people about the fact that a fetus’ heart starts beating at 18 days after conception
Just stop.
Because my heart is broken, and I’m tired of trite answers
and finger pointing.
Has it occurred to anyone that maybe these babies, these mothers, aren’t receiving the love of
Christ? Who’s supposed to be in charge of that?
A single, young lady has been in and out of the system her
whole life. She's been placed in and torn out of homes for as long as she can
remember. She has been assaulted, abused, and taken advantage of since she was an
infant. She wouldn’t wish her life on her worst enemy, let alone her own child.
She thinks life isn’t worth living if you spend it wishing you were dead.
Maybe we should tell her that her baby’s heart is already
beating and that she’s a murderer for terminating the infant’s life.
Wow, that’s a bit harsh
Lauren.
Maybe. But I’m tired of arguing with people. I want to put
my money where my mouth is.
We tell people not to abort their babies, but according to
Canadian Child Welfare Research Portal, “[i]n 2013, there were an estimated
62,428 children in out-of-home care across Canada.”* Imagine adding tens of
thousands of more children to that number, every
year.
Do I think abortion is the answer to decreasing the number
of orphans or children in the foster care system in Canada? Absolutely 100%
not. So what is the answer?
The Church.
Shouldn’t that be obvious? Yet for some reason, it doesn’t
appear to be.
The Bible is full of verses about protecting the orphaned
and the widowed. I don’t need to cite them to you. You probably already know
them, and if not, just go to Biblegateway.com and type in “orphan.”
Now type in “adoption.”
We forget that as Christians we are adoptees. The Bible
makes it pretty clear that we were not born into our inheritance as children of
God. We were adopted. The New
Testament is as full as the idea of adoption as the Old Testament is of
protecting orphans. Yet we make it so spiritual, and limit it to something that
has been done for us. We forget that
what God has done for us is an
example of how we should treat other people.
We apply this concept to so many areas of our lives: forgive, as God has
forgiven us; love, as God has loved us.
Adopt, as God has adopted us.
Woah. Why have I never heard that before?
Wait, Lauren. You’re
telling me that you think I should literally adopt? That the answer to this
issue is me and my spouse literally adopting a child, and taking him or her
into my home and loving and raising them such as my own?
My response to you is, why
not?
I’m too old. Then
donate some money to one of the many Christian adoption organizations out there
who help make if affordable for younger couples who would like to adopt.
I don’t have enough money. Then volunteer
at a pregnancy center and offer love and support to women faced with this
decision
I already have
children of my own. Consider fostering, or doing respite for foster
parents.
I’m not ready for that kind of extreme commitment. Okay, but then I would like to ask you if you have any right to tell that single, teenage mother that she is ready.
I’m being brutally harsh, I know. I know that there are many
reasons that couples or families feel that adoption would not be a responsible
decision at this stage in their lives. But my point is, I think there are in
reality fewer reasons than we as a
church would really like to think. How many young couples have ever even considered
adoption as a way to start their families? More than anything, I would like
this to be something Christians talked about, considered, and even preached about in churches. The way I see
it, we have some obligation to set an example. As representatives of Christ on
this earth, we have a calling to love others radically, to act as Christ did in
offering his life so we could
experience what it meant to be adopted. Why are we so keen to imitate some parts
of the story, and not others?
I once read a stat that said if 3 families in every church
in the United States adopted one child, there would be no more children in their
foster care system. Wow. I imagine the numbers would be similar in Canada. Now,
can you think of what would happen if our nation could see the church of Jesus
Christ take the initiative and make it so that we had no more children without
homes in Canada?
Don’t you think that that would be more effective than protesting?
Harder, definitely. But So. Much. More. Effective.
I am not here to judge you. I am not going to look at any
one couple and inwardly seethe at them not having any adopted children. You
could look at my husband and I and challenge us the same way I have attempted
to challenge you. We all have different callings, and are at different stages
of our lives. But please, PLEASE, start this conversation. Start it in your
family, in your church, in your community. And if adoption is simply impossible for
you, consider other ways you can contribute to a long term solution for the infanticide
taking place in our very own country. I beg you. Let’s finally pick up our
slack and put our words into actions.
*http://cwrp.ca/statistics

Comments
Post a Comment