Be the Helper
What if you woke up one morning, illiterate? What would the
ramifications of that be?
I forgot to say, you’re living in a completely new
community.
And one more thing. You’re mute.
So you wake up. You’re hungry and want to eat breakfast. But
you have virtually no food in your house. You just moved here, remember? So maybe you should go to the grocery store
and pick something up.
Where is the grocery store?
You’d like to ask someone, but you don’t know who to ask.
Plus, you’re unable to speak. You could probably motion with your hands, if you
found someone who would have the patience to stand there and try to interpret
your gestures. Maybe you could look it
up on the internet. You don’t have the aid of a smartphone, because you need
some sort of proof of residence to get a service plan, which you don’t have.
You’re not even sure what your address is. Even if you did, you wouldn’t be
able to write it, since you’re illiterate. Nor would you be able to tell
anyone. Maybe you could find free wifi
somewhere. That is, if you have a wireless device.
Oh wait, how would you look it up, if you don’t know how to
write what you’re trying to search?
So you find a friendly looking young mom walking with her
kids down the sidewalk. You try to motion with your hands to indicate that you
want to find a grocery store. While the kids stare at you, she furrows her brow
trying to decipher your sign language. Her toddler starts to fuss, and even a nice
lady like her is getting frustrated. She indicates with her own body language
that there is a grocery about 10 km away from here, before forcing a smile and
moving on.
Now you have a vague idea of where the store is. How will
you get there?
If you have a car, you don’t know how to drive it. The rules
here are different, perhaps even the cars are different. If you live in a city,
maybe you could take a bus. Well, if you could read the bus schedule, or where
the bus is going. Which you can’t. And you’re not able to inquire verbally
either. Maybe you could walk. But 10 km is a long way, and you’re very hungry.
Let’s say you have a car and a driver’s license, so you attempt driving.
After being honked at and nearly hit multiple times as you
try and navigate unfamiliar roads, signs that mean nothing to you, and a car
that is oriented completely different than what you’re used to, you finally
arrive at a grocery store, flustered and scared.
Your experience in the grocery store is not much different.
You don’t recognize most of the foods there, and you can’t read the labels to
discover what they are, let alone the ingredients. Finally, you settle on some
fruit, and go to check out. You’re not sure what the cashier is saying to you.
She asks you a question, and so you nod your head. She waits. That must have
been the wrong answer. You shake your
head, no. She not-so-discretely rolls her eyes and starts ringing through your
order. She points to a total on the screen. You search through your wallet, trying
to match the numbers on the foreign looking money to what the number on the
screen is displaying. While you try and figure this out, the cashier starts
shifting her weight and puts one hand on her hip. She’s not saying anything
rude to you, but she doesn’t have to. The line is starting to grow behind you.
Finally you just grab a bill you are sure will more than cover it, and hand it
to the lady and wait for your change. You take your fruit, head back to your
car, and brace yourself for the terrifying ride ahead of you.
While this is a hypothetical situation, it is a reflection
of what I have learned recently is a reality for many people.
I spent about an hour the other day trying to figure out
what the buttons on our washing machine meant. With the help of my husband who
can speak and even read a bit of Japanese, we were able to Google most of it,
and I was successfully able to do a load of laundry.
Justin woke up with a bad cold the other day, and I couldn’t
do anything for him. We have no vitamin C tablets, no echinacea tea, no honey,
no lemon… I couldn’t even offer him a glass of orange juice. I thought maybe I
could run to the store and get something, but the nearest convenience store is
a 10 minute drive through mountains roads, and I didn’t know how to drive here.
Not to mention, I wouldn’t even know where to begin looking for that kind of
stuff in a Japanese store, how to read the label, or how to ask for it.
I desperately wanted to find out why there were fireworks randomly going
off the other night, but I didn’t know who I could ask, or how I could ask
them.
I tried to check out at a store the other day while my
husband ran to the car (which he primarily drives until I can get used to the
whole other-side-of-the-road thing), and I felt like a 4 year old in a pre-cal
class as the lady spoke to me with a plastered-on smile, trying to get me to
put my items in the right place and move out of the way for the next customer.
I feel like people are thinking, why doesn’t she just learn Japanese? Or, why does she let her husband do everything for her? Or, doesn’t she care?
It’s going from being an articulate, capable and independent
young woman, to a child who needs her hand held everywhere she goes and someone
to speak for her.
It’s frustrating, isolating, and humiliating.
And it’s been a blessing.
In a rather down moment, I was expressing my frustration to
my husband. I thank God for him, because while he sympathized with me and was
very understanding, he didn’t let me stay sitting in my mud puddle of gloom.
Instead he wondered:
Imagine how
immigrants and refugees who come to Canada feel with no one waiting for them.
I have many people here who have, or have expressed a
willingness, to help us. We have been helped with legal paper work, registering
our car, getting internet in our house, even with food. Justin himself also
helps me on a daily basis; teaching me cultural norms, how to cook new foods,
translating and navigating for me. I really have so much to be grateful for. When I thought about the possibility of
having no one to help me, it seemed
ridiculous to be complaining that I needed the people that do help me.
Some of you have been there. You know what it’s like to
immigrate or experience a long-term visit in a country in which you struggle
with understanding or independence. Some of you may have had help, and some of
you (and I take my hat off to you) may have pushed through on your own, making
a new life for yourself.
But here is my challenge to my friends and family out there:
Be the helper.
Find someone in your
community, your school, your workplace, even your own family, who is new. Who
feels lonely. Who doesn’t know where to take their kid to the dentist. Who
would just like someone to invite
them over for dinner. Who wants to go to the beach, but doesn’t have a car. Who
wants someone to explain to them why the fireworks are going off.
Find that person.
Because I can guarantee you they are there. It’s your job to find them, and be Jesus to them.
They’ll appreciate it more than you can know.
Trust me.
| The best of several poor attempts at a selfie. We need a selfie stick. |

My goodness Lauren. That was a wonderful reminder. Thank you for that.
ReplyDeleteAmy