A New Adventure: The Facts

http://www.blackdotswhitespots.com/2013/12/09/was-ist-eigentlich-abenteuer/

It's been nearly a year since our return from Mexico, and our blog has been dormant for almost as long. However, we've recently decided to revive it because we're going on an adventure, and we want to share it with you!

More than anything, this blog has been a way of keeping in touch with our friends and family; a mass update of the events of our lives and our interactions with them. We hope that through this we can share our joys, struggles and maybe even some things we learn along the way with those who have stood along side us and encouraged us in our journey thus far.

Enough preambling. Let's get down to the nitty gritty. What is this new "adventure" I keep referring to, and why is it worth sharing? Like any good reporter (which, I am actually not), I will attempt to dissect this mystery, sticking to the facts, using, of course, the 5 Ws! This will be a long post, as I hope to give as much information as possible to our friends who are interested. If you make it all the way through, kudos! If not, I forgive you.

Here we go!

Where? 

Where is this new leg of our journey taking place? Well, Japan. Many of you will not be surprised to hear this, as we have been pretty open with our interest in the country. Justin, has of course, been to Japan multiple times for extended periods, which may have been a hint to some. We will be going to a farming community nestled in the Japanese Alps, a little rural village called Yasuoka. Not only will it be new to me (having never been to Japan at all), but it will also be a brand new municipality to Justin. We anticipate being able to enjoy camping and hiking in this countryside community, as well as participate in what we have been told are "village events," that apparently include weekly badminton games and pottery classes.



What? 

So what are we actually doing in Japan? Justin has a degree in TESOL (short for: Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages), so this is in fact his field. He will be teaching in the community of Yasuoka, primarily to junior high students, but as well to elementary children and even preschoolers. So how about Lauren? I will be putting my efforts, at least for the first part of our time there, towards submersing myself in learning, both of the language and the culture of Japan. My hope is that this time of study, both in books and real-life experience, will prepare me to be better equipped to engage more fully in whatever opportunities I may have down the road.

When?

We are anticipating arriving in Japan in the beginning of August.

Who? 

Who will be embarking on this trip? The answer is Justin and I. Now, most of your are thinking, obviously, but others of you are perhaps reading my mind and thinking, what about Inka??!




Thank you for remembering her. Justin and I were slightly devastated to learn that as a rabies free country, there is quite an extensive procedure to import pets into Japan that takes a minimum of 180 days. In case you're as bad at math as I am, that's about 6 months. And to further save you from unnecessary mathematical strain, I will tell you that even though we began the procedures as soon as we found out, we're looking at December as the month when Inka will be cleared to enter the country, which is about five months from the beginning of August. The conclusion being, we will have to leave without our dog and live without her for five months. Those of you with pets whom you love, or who know Justin and I and the status Inka has as a member of our family will understand how difficult this will be for us. However, we rest assured that she will have a safe and loving home with my parents who have graciously agreed to call her their own for the time we will be separated. And that is the long answer to what I tricked you into thinking was a simple question. 

Why?

I saved this for last, because I feel it's most important (plus, it's hardest to answer without giving away the answers to the other four). What takes a young couple away from their family and friends (and dog) to a place literally on the other side of the world? Is it really just adventure? This desire to experience something new and exciting? While those are both nice things, ultimately, that's not what it comes down to for Justin and I. I think the best way to explain the 'why' is to tell you a little about the country where we'll be living.

Japan, I'm told from several reliable sources, is a beautiful country full of beautiful people. It's population, though decreasing yearly, is about 3.5 times of that of Canada. Technologically, educationally, and in regards to physical health, they are a country very much advanced. But upon further research, a person is faced with these facts*:

  • About 30, 000 people commit suicide in Japan every year. That works out to 3 people taking their own lives every hour. 
  • Suicide is leading cause of death among men age 20–44, as well as women age 15–34
  • In 2014 suicide was the most common cause of death among those aged 10 to 19
  • According to humantrafficking.org, "Japan is recognized as having one of the most severe human trafficking problems among the major industrialized democracies." 
  • Christians in Japan makes up about 1.5% of the entire population of Japan, Evangelicals making up about a third of that number, with a annual decrease rate of 0.2. 
  • 68% of Japan's peoples are unreached.

As one takes a deeper look into what on the surface appears to be a country that has it all together, they find that there is more going on than what meets the eye. Like many other countries, Japan faces its own set of harrowing struggles: depression, unattainable societal expectations, suicide.... The hospitable, creative, and gentle people of Japan are daily fighting a battle against hopelessness.

So why are we going to this gorgeous, wealthy and progressive country? 

Ultimately, to bring hope.
12 For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, 13 for,“Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”

14 How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? 15 And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”

Romans 10:12-15



*For more reading/viewing on Japan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAtvixTnIZE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxzD2QeGZTY
http://www.operationworld.org/japa
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan
https://joshuaproject.net/countries/ja
http://www.humantrafficking.org/countries/japan
http://www.globalministries.org/human_trafficking_and_the_sex_trade

Comments

Popular Posts