Pop Quiz!

How much do you actually know Lauren and Justin and Mexico? Let's find out with this fantastic new quiz I just made up now! All (well, most) of the answers are found in previous blog posts. Ready? Go!

Justin and Lauren live in the city of:
a) México
b) Mazaclán
c) Culiacan
d) Mazatlán

The Spanish word used to describe "worms" in relation to the human digestive system is:
a) parasitos
b) panesitos
c) parásitos
d) gusanos

The term "Inka" refers to Justin and Lauren's:
a) trip to ancient Mexican ruins
b) adopted pet dog
c) style of preparing beans
d) deer that lives in the backyard

"Dengue" is a illness caused by:
a) the bite of an infected mosquito
b) eating food contaminated by fecal matter
c) blocked sweat glands
d) a parasite found in old beans

Justin and Lauren are in Mexico working with an organisation called:
a) Roots & Fruits
b) Wings to Fly
c) El Pompano
d) Roots & Wings

Justin and Lauren moved to Mexico because:
a) they wanted to incorporate more beans into their diet
b) they can't get enough of the beach
c) they had to escape Canadian winters
d) none of the above



So, how'd you do? I'm willing to bet pretty good!

But now down to serious stuff.

What follows are thoughts that I've been wanting to write for a while, and in light of recent events, I feel now is the perfect time. Part of the reason why I haven't yet shared these thoughts with the general public is because I'm still trying to figure them out. Thoughts that pertain to the last question on the quiz: why did Justin and I move to Mexico?

I've been thinking a lot lately about this word, "call." We in Christian circles often use phrases like "this is my calling" or "I felt called" or "God called me to [something]." I myself use it often, or some alternate version of it. But I've realised that really it can just be way of justifying any given action without requiring much more of an explanation:

"Why did you just stick that french fry in that guy's ear?"

"I felt called to do it."

"Oh. Okay."

Obviously this is an extremely exaggerated and facetious example. I would like to think that the vast majority of Christian would not use this phrase in an abusive manner, but the fact is, it can be really hard to discredit a person's action when they claim that there was a divine guidance behind it.*

Besides all of this, I have been asking myself, what does "a call" look like? Is it an emotional draw to a person or place or action that irresistibly pulls on your heart? Is it a simple matter of seeing a need and filling it? Is it a dream that wakes you up with a hitherto-un-thought-of-but-suddenly-very-urgent desire to change something? It is an feeling? Is it simply doing what you know in your brain is right? Is it slow-growing, or is it just suddenly present?

The reason I have started having these conversations with myself is because Justin and I have decided not to renew our term here in Mazatlan with Roots & Wings, and now we begin to explain our decision to other people as well. The fact is, both Justin and I feel that God brought us to Mazatlan. But, it is also true that we both feel he is now leading away from Mazatlan. We felt "called" here, and now we feel "called" to leave. What does that actually mean?

Our initial draw to Mazatlan was birthed with seeing a need. We began to feel that we might be able to fill that need. We started praying about it. Doors opened almost immediately, and finances were unexpectedly and swiftly provided. We felt the support of friends and family. We moved to Mexico with a one-year commitment to Root & Wings. In many ways, it was a very practical decision.

Now as we are about two months from the end of our term here, with much prayer, we have concluded that these will be our last months living here in Mazatlan. So what changed?

Is the 'need' in Mazatlan and Roots & Wings completely filled? No.

Did out financial support run out? No.

Did we lose the support of friends and family? No.

Do we feel that our initially "call" here was misread or incorrect? No.

So why do we feel that our time here is coming to a close?

To simplify it a little bit, the idea of "seasons" in Ecclesiastes 3 has really hit home with us. Someone the other day put it like this: God sometimes puts us somewhere because he knows that place/situation needs what we as individuals can bring to it. However, as that place/situation evolves, sometimes our abilities and strengths are no longer what is most needed there. A new set of tools and skills are required to carry the project on to its full potential. Meanwhile, there is another place/situation somewhere else that now might need exactly what we might be able to bring to it.

We feel that God wanted us here for a season. Now, as we feel things are wrapping up for us, we are already beginning to feel that God is already preparing us for something new. We're excited, both for the future of Roots & Wings, as well as to see what God has next for us as a couple. We are so grateful for the overwhelming support that has been shown us through our pilgrimage here, because it wouldn't haven been possible without it. We also love this ministry here in Mazatlan, and would encourage everyone to continue to follow the incredible things God is doing through it, even long after this Hiebert couple has left it.

So, all that being said, what is a "call?" The truth is, I'm still not entirely sure. Maybe it's as unique and complex as each individual who has one. The beauty of this conversation though, is that I'm learning.



*Here I am not addressing extreme cases in which we as Christians can clearly read our Bible and discern God's will is contrary (or in line with) the person's claims or actions. I am referring more to an individual's personal life decisions, where, apart from the guidance of the Holy Spirit, an outside person genuinely would not be able to judge whether or not it is within the will of God.
  

Comments

Popular Posts