First Things First

Up until April 2014, I (Lauren) had never traveled outside of Canada and a handful of border states in the USA.

Today, I woke up in Mazatlan, Mexico. Because I'm living here.

What in blue blazes happened?!

I'm a Canadian, through and through. Embarrassingly so, really.

I once totaled a car, braking for a gaggle (yes, that's what we call them) of Canadian Geese crossing a road. When it's -45 degrees outside, I put on an extra toque, and embark on the expedition that is the half hour walk to work. My favourite food is blueberries, and I spell favourite with a "u" (auto-correct hates it). I listen to CBC radio, stop at Tim Horton's at least three times on every road trip, and try to pretend Justin Bieber isn't from Ontario. I grew up watching The Red Green Show, Hockey Night in Canada, and Road to Avonlea.

That's just the beginning, but I'll spare you more examples.

So, how did this Canuck turn into a Gringo?

It started with a realisation. At some point in my earlier years, I learned that not all kids had it as good as I did. While I led my life of fun and freedom in Canada, surrounded by my loving family, there were other children in the world who were daily struggling for survival, void of love or affection in any form.

This realisation turned into a conviction. I was going to do something about this. I had been blessed with so much, I had to share it with those who had so little.

Fast-forward ten years, and I find myself with my husband visiting with family in Mazatlan, Mexico. During our stay we make a trip to the city's garbage dump, where a community of people have created houses out of trash, making a living off whatever they can find of worth in the garbage. Kids run shoeless through the area, dirty and unsupervised. Infants are being watched by young children who should be in school, while their teenage mothers are working in the dump.

But there's hope here. We visit a daycare ministry facility in the area, where parents can bring their kids. They get baths, food, and most of all, love. They are taught that God cares about them, and that they are worth more than they know. This daycare, Roots & Wings, is making a difference. I want to be a part of this.

And that's why I find myself trading Canadian Geese for little geckos. Swapping my toque for a fan. Munching on burritos instead of blueberries.

I have no idea what this new adventure will bring. I may have Tim Horton withdrawals. But God is with me, and I'm looking forward to what is ahead.

Comments

Popular Posts